In 1890, Rev. S. L. Morris, a local pastor, traveled to lumberyards in Macon and surrounding cities to secure materials to build a permanent house of worship for his congregation, often paying for the lumber by preaching. During the construction of the facility that is now Tattnall Square Center for the Arts, the congregation worshipped in the Mercer University Chapel. In May 1891, the sanctuary at 1096 College Street was dedicated. Originally called Second Presbyterian, the name Tattnall Square Presbyterian Church was first used in 1893. The church property, in the heart of the College Hill Corridor, was given to Mercer University in 2010 by Flint River Presbytery.
The University renovated the church and renamed it Tattnall Square Center for the Arts, which houses its theatre program and hosts community arts events. A circle which began – and now ends – with Mercer University has been completed.